Saturday 14 February 2009

Would you like a roll in ze hay?




I've just been watching Close Encounters for the ten-thousandth time (approximately) and it's occurred to me that the film's secret weapon is Teri Garr. I know, I know, the special effects and sheer spectacle still look amazing even in today's CGI-saturated media landscape, Richard Dreyfuss is just perfect as everyman Roy Neary, and the direction is impeccable of course. But...
Teri is just so funny, sexy and believable as Ronnie Neary, trying to deal with her husband's seeming mental breakdown. The fact that she is such a cow to him and then walks out on him might go against her, but hey  -  I'm the forgiving type. She's also great in one of my other favourite films, Young Frankenstein, as herr doktor's "lab assistant", Inga. Woof!
On a more serious note, Teri Garr has been living with MS for over 20 years and has done a lot of work for America's National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which named her Ambassador Of The Year in 2005. So, here's to a very talented, and brave, actress.




Soundtrack: The Last Waltz by The Band.

3 comments:

joe ackerman said...

I used to have quite a thing for Teri when I was younger. I can remember why now.

Simon B said...

Hi Joe. Thanks for commenting and Following. I first saw Teri in CE3K when I was about 11 or 12. Back then, if faced with Roy Neary's choice - ETs or Teri - I would have gone with the aliens. Now, I'm not so sure.

pete doree said...

Yeah, I had a thing for Teri too when Close Encounters came out. Didn't everybody?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails