Sunday 18 December 2022

First glimpse of the 15th Doctor in costume

 


Ncuti Gatwa is the 15th Doctor! Okay, that's not exactly news but yesterday the BBC / Bad Wolf people revealed the first look at his costume which makes everything feel more official. It's a cool look and, although not as flamboyant as I'd expected, makes a real statement. To be honest, Gatwa is such a stylish guy that he could probably make a bin-bag look good but this very '70s brown / orange / tweed look shows us a Doctor who could fit in anywhere and nowhere  -  he looks like he could saunter down your high street or equally stride into the Capitol on Gallifrey and take control. We also had a first look at Millie Gibson as Ruby Sunday ( still not sure about that name ), looking very confident in her denim jacket and DMs. ( Another example of a '70s fashion still, er, kicking around. ) 

They're both looking good and I can't wait to see them on screen. We'll have to enjoy / endure three 60th Anniversary Specials featuring the recycled / reheated 10th /14th Doctor before then. I'm still not sure how I feel about that but I'll give it a try next November.

As an aside, our daughter Sophie was down to do some extras filming last week but it didn't work out due to a mix-up. This was presented to her as a BBC science fiction show filmed in Cardiff, no more details than that. Hmmm. We were convinced it was our beloved blue-box show, as it had coincidentally just started filming ( and the BBC can't afford more than one SF show! ), but unfortunately it didn't happen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh. Dunno about this Simon. I don't have a problem with diversity - I am ok with the Doctor being Scottish! (its hardly the first time anyway) - and at least his dress sense isn't quite as bad as the Davison or Colin Baker eras.

But I cannot accept the moustache.

-sean

Simon B said...

Ha ha, yes, the moustache is certainly a first for the Doctor. Although I do remember some publicity photos of Colin Baker with a beard back in the day, which he mercifully didn't actually wear in the show. I'm not really a fan of the moustache but it's not a deal-breaker for me :-)

Steve W. said...

I know I'm not the only one who's made this observation but the first time I saw Ncuti's outfit, I immediately thought of the one Lenny Henry wore in his send-up of the show. Regardless, I do feel it's a definite improvement on the one Jodie Whittaker lumbered herself with.

Simon B said...

Lenny's got the moustache and everything! ;-)

Merry Christmas Steve!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I didn't much care for Jodie's outfit either. Too Mork from Ork for my liking.
But at least she didn't have a 'tache.

-sean

Simon B said...

Nanoo nanoo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails