Tuesday 9 January 2024

Things I didn't blog about in 2023: Awesome Artwork


It's apparently a new year, so of course that means I'll start posting all the stuff I was too lazy or disorganised to post in the last year. I'll start with ( as the blog title implies ) some amazingly awesome artwork. First of all, here's a Pulp-inspired piece by the hugely-talented Mark Reynolds, whose work can be found at Stuff By Mark. He produces some cracking Pop art, drawing on influences from old movie posters and classic songs. And, unlike, many chancers who basically steal "vintage" artwork and reproduce it as their own, Mark is an imaginative, accomplished artist with a keen eye and a dry wit. After the phenomenal Pulp gig in Manchester last Summer, it was a no-brainer for me to buy this limited-edition print and give it to Sarah for her birthday. She loves the song Common People ( and Pulp songs in general ) so she was more than happy with this representation of what is possibly Jarvis Cocker's greatest line. I don't own the artwork below ( unfortunately ) but it's another of Mark's pieces, a cheeky interpretation of Pulp's Disco 2000 as an Archie comic. Isn't it great?


Casting my ancient and twisted mind further back in time, I find myself in balmy Bedford back in September 2023. Here, at the awesome NICE comics con, I bought the lovely warrior woman print below from the equally lovely Liam Sharp...



I bent Liam's ear at some length about his stupendous Starhenge comic, and how I thought it was one of the most fab, groovy and cosmically-aware mags I'd read since the halcyon days of Heavy Metal. He seemed suitably happy with that and we also chatted about his recent move back to Brexit Island after years in the States, and about his old mucker, the late, lamented Steve Dillon...



Bedford's premier comic shop, Close Encounters, was showcasing some of Dillon's original artwork, to coincide with NICE con, which they organise. After leaving the con, I literally had half an hour to spare before meeting Sarah so I hot-footed it ( as best I could at the time, with a dodgy back ) to Close Encounters to check out the awesome artwork. ( Hey! Good name for a blog post! ) The gallery was a real treasure-trove of wonders, featuring iconic pages from 2000 AD, Warrior, Preacher, Doctor Who Weekly ( as was ) plus many more pulsatin' publications. It really showed what a loss to the world the passing of the great Steve Dillon was...









Finally, a completely different style of artwork: a beautiful, Aardman-inspired mural in Bristol, the home of Wallace and Gromit, Morph, Shaun the Sheep etc. etc.


Cracking cheese, Gromit!

5 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Some great art there. I really like the Jarvis Cocker cover in the Archie style and that Red Sonja illo is a belter

Steve Dillon was a wonderful artist, it was so sad he passed away so young. I loved his clean line style , Axel Pressbutton was a great fun ( and overly violent) strip.

Simon B said...

Yeah, as soon as I saw that Sonja print, I knew I had to buy it. And it was cool to meet Liam Sharp too - what a great guy!

Very sad indeed about Steve Dillon. I actually entered a script-writing competition in 2000 AD many, many years ago, where I wrote dialogue and captions ( remember them? ) for a Dillon sample page. I didn't win, of course, but it was a fun exercise. I think I've still got the ( photocopied ) art somewhere... I should really look for it and post it on here...

McSCOTTY said...

It would be great to see that Simon.

Simon B said...

We're sporadically tidying up some dusty old corners of our house and I think I know where that artwork might be. If I do find it, I'll definitely post it here.

I enjoyed your post on double-page spreads, so much cool artwork! I noticed that KR gave Buscema's art a back-handed compliment and, of course, used that as an opportunity to have a go at Kirby. The man never misses a chance to say something negative :-(

McSCOTTY said...

Lol At least it makes a change from my spelling being slammed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails