Tuesday 19 May 2020

30-Day Song Challenge Week 3



Up to my usual standards as ever, week three is a day late but ( hopefully ) worth it.
Okay, pop pickers, here we go with this week's rundown...

Day 15  -  A song you like that's a cover by another artist
One of my fave loud, weird bands ( Pixies ) covering another of my fave loud, weird bands ( Jesus &Mary Chain ) at 100 mph - not your John Lewis ad type of cover...
Head On by Pixies



Day 16  -  A song that's a classic favourite
This category's open to wide interpretation. I'm going way back with one of my fave songs from one of my fave movies
Singin' In The Rain by Gene Kelly



Day 17  -  A song you'd sing a duet with someone on karaoke
In the unlikely event this ever happened I'd go with ( Engage sarcasm mode. Sarcasm mode engaged. ) this romantic, classic duet from Husker Du - New Day Rising



Day 18  -  A song from the year you were born
Virtually impossible to pick just one song from 1966, pop's annus mirabilis ( Latin? at this time of day? ), but I'm going with this masterpiece from Tina Turner and Phil Spector. I mean, I could have picked songs from The Beatles, Stones, Temptations, Dylan, Byrds, Kinks, Supremes, Dusty, Wilson Pickett, Beach Boys, Four Tops... the list goes on...
River Deep Mountain High by Tina Turner




Day 19  -  A song that makes you think about life
Breathe by Pink Floyd from their emotional Live8 reunion in 2005 Just like Dave Gilmour here, I may have something in my eye




Day 20  -  A song that has many meanings to you
I'm cheating slightly here as it's technically more than one song. I wrote about Abbey Road and this song ( and my feelings for both ) on my old 15 Albums blog...
The "Long Medley" by The Beatles




Day 21  -  A song you like with a person's name in the title
Some folkin' folk music crossed with electronica. My first choice was See Emily Play by Pink Floyd but I've already posted a Floyd song. Plus I thought I should go with something more recent before this all turns into one big nostalgia fest
Jon Taylor's Month Away by King Creosote



My apologies for the different fonts on display here  -  I've copied and pasted some of this from my Twitter page and it doesn't fit too well. I wanted to get this post done today and not let things drag on for too long, so it's a bit rough 'n' ready. Unlike myself. I'm smooth as peaches and cream. That's gone through a blender. ( What am I talking about? Blame the lockdown ) I'll see if I can edit things when I get a minute...
Anyway, if anyone would like to take part and post some of their own fave songs in the comments that would be groovy, baby! See you next week pop pickerzzz.

6 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Hi Simon hope your all keeping well. I found some of these quite difficult to pin down and as always Im sure I will have forgotten some classics. Not heard of Husker Du so will look them out.


A song you like that's a cover by another artist

Urge Overkill – Girl you’ll be a woman soon
One of Neal Diamonds early songs (and a good one) covered by Urge Overkill for Pulp Fiction. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fr1iyhkyVs


A song that's a classic favourite

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
One of the best songs ever in any musical genre imho. Glen Campbell’s voice on this is amazing as are the lyrics. When I first heard this I was blown away it is just a 100% class tune from start to finish and from a country and western singer (nee genius) who’da thunk it! .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSarBcsKLU


A song you'd sing a duet with someone on karaoke

Youssou N’Dour & Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds


A close second/ or equal first to Bob and Marcia’s “To be young gifted and black” but it would not be (understandably) PC for a white boy to sing this but gawd it’s such a great track. Thisis aclose second for me and a great track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqCpjFMvz-k


Link to Bob and Marcia’s to be young gifted and black as well (‘casue its so good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubDVUQon5BE

A song from the year you were born

Howlin’ Wolf “Smokestack lightin”
Arggh! I couldn’t even make it into the groovy1960s (born mid 1959). Some legends from this decade of course like Buddy Holly ,Sedaka, Elvis, the Everly Brothers etc. But as a big blues music fan it has to be Howlin’ Wolfs “Smokestack Lightnin’” for me. When most folk were listening to be bop type records (great as some were) at this time, it’s hard to believe that this hard core great (almost punk) music was out there at the same time these tunes haven’t dated the other “be bop” songs for the most part have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ri7TcukAJ8



A song that has many meanings to you

David Bowie; Five Years

From the legendary “The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars” LP this is the opening track. This was the song that really made me think about music, it still sends tingles up my spine when I hear it as the message is dark (more so considering whats going on today) but catchy, it always reminds me of my brother (a Bowie nutter like I was soon to be) and it got me into SF.
.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bcnO3VQ_fc


A song you like with a person's name in the title

The Looking Glass - Brandy (you’re a fine girl)

I first heard this on one of those 1970s compilation albums by K-TEL (2O Fantastic hits etc) long before it appeared on the “Guardians of the Galaxy” soundtrack – just think it’s a really strong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-PapGB2Ag



Simon B said...

Hi Paul, thanks for another great list! I'm very well, thanks. Hope you and yours are also well?

Urge Overkill - I only know this version but I really like it. Tarantino always does a great job of fitting music to his visuals.

Glenn Campbell - 100% agree, what a classic! My parents had a cassette of Campbell's Greatest Hits which I remember being played in the car when we were on holiday, which kind of suits Wichita Lineman.

Youssou N’Dour & Neneh Cherry - I heard this on the radio recently and was reminded what a great song it is. Whatever happened to Neneh Cherry?

Bob & Marcia - Just one of the finest pop songs ever recorded. I'm a big fan of 1960s ska / reggae / Bluebeat and this is up there with the greats.

Howlin' Wolf - As you say, almost Punk in its visceral attack. I'm not a great Blues fan TBH but certain songs and artists do get through for me and this is one of them. I'm fairly sure Creedence Clearwater Revival "borrowed" some of the guitar licks from this song :-)

Five Years - What more can be said? A wonderful song from a masterpiece of an album. And, yes, it certainly resonates today with the pandemic, climate crisis etc. Let's hope we've got more than five years left...

The Looking Glass - The only song here I don't know. I've watched GOTG a few times but this song obviously never lodged in my brain ;-)

As for Husker Du, if you're interested in their stuff I'd suggest checking out the album Warehouse: Songs & Stories - it's probably their most polished and commercial record but has some cracking songs which were hugely influential on bands like Pixies, Nirvana etc.

McSCOTTY said...

I will certainly look out Husker DU if they were an influence on the brilliant Pixies and Nirvana. Neneh Cherry's last album was around 2018/19 but I haven't heard a lot about her since then but I think she does a lot of other things like TV, broadcasting etc (I had no idea she was Swedish always assumed she was English for some reason). The Looking Glass song is just a strong pop song and is probably an AM rock tune (but better). Look forward to your next list of songs it’s always fun finding new bands and songs. Glad to hear your all keeping well.

McSCOTTY said...

Oh can’t believe I missed a section on your list - noted below:

Day; 20 - A song that makes you think about life

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Cash’s version of the Nine Inch Nails classic would probably sit better under the “ songs that breaks your heart” section (but I have one for that you probably won’t be surprised at) . This version of the song is all about life being fleeting and can be tough , regardless of who you are, Cash already very frail died a few months after it was filmed and his wife passed a few months before that. To add to the despair of the video Cash’s home where the video was shot burned down a few years ago – yikes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI

Simon B said...

Yeah, that Johnny Cash video is heart-breaking to watch. Great song though.

I'm coming to the end of the song challenge but will probably follow it with a similar film challenge that's also doing the rounds on Twitter. Interested? :-)

McSCOTTY said...

Def up for the film challenge Simon

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails