Saturday 27 June 2020

30-Day Comic Challenge Week 4



I've come to the final week of the comics challenge and it kicks off with one of those perennial comics questions: Who is stronger, who would win, who would get their green or orange arse kicked?

Day 22
Your dream "versus" match

To be honest this isn't something I've really given much thought to since I was about 10.
I don't know... Swamp Thing vs Man-Thing? Black Panther vs White Tiger? Killraven vs Apeslayer?
Or how about these two...?
( I'm nothing if not shallow )


Yeah, I'd definitely read that.

Day 23
Fave comic book cartoon series

I have to admit defeat here as I don't really have one. So here are The Ramones covering the theme tune from the 1960s Spider-Man cartoon:



Day 24
A comic that made you laugh

I think we can all agree that Bill Watterson's Calvin & Hobbes is one of the greatest and funniest comic strips of all time. Right? Right.



The cover detail and strip above are both from my copy of Calvin & Hobbes Sunday Pages 1985-1995, a catalogue from an exhibition of Watterson's work at the Ohio State University Cartoon Research Library. This is just a wonderful book which features original artwork from the strip alongside the published version with commentaries by Watterson himself. If you're a fan of C&H it's definitely worth scouring t'internet for a copy.

Day 25
A comic or story arc you wish they would make a movie of

The Incal by Moebius and Jodorowsky. Of course, "they" would need a top director and a huuuge budget to do this epic justice but it's a nice thought. Paging Denis Villeneuve?



Day 26
A guilty pleasure comic

I don't really get the concept of "guilty pleasures" ( if you like something you like something ) but maybe Howard Chaykin's Black Kiss? Great artwork but not something you'd leave lying around the house. "More tea vicar?"


My blog buddy Pete Doree summed up the guilty pleasure idea thus: "Something bearded hipsters use to describe something they like but don't want their mates to think they like. Silly."

Day 27
Comic you've read the most times

Not just one comic. These. All of these.



These 20 comics are just a small selection of my Fantastic Four collection. I own 72 regular issues and 5 annuals from the Lee / Kirby run from 1961 - 1970. I know it's a collection I'll never complete unless I suddenly become a millionaire but the chase is often better than the catch and it does eliminate that existential feeling of emptiness experienced by all comics fans when you complete a collection and think "now what?"
Sadly, between me posting these images on Twitter and collating my tweets here, the legendary Joe Sinnott passed away at the age of 93. Joltin' Joe, as Stan dubbed him, did absolutely phenomenal work inking Jack's pencils and was key in establishing the "look"of the FF. Below is a great image of The Thing and the Human Torch which I've posted before but is a lovely example of Sinnott's work. Here's to you, Joltin' Joe!


Day 28
Fave super power or skill

Well, it's the most obvious one  -  flight, as exemplified by the original super hero, Superman himself. Who hasn't dreamed of flying and escaping this mundane / insane world for a while?


Day 29
Comic that changed the way you see the world

I don't think any one comic did that but many helped shape my worldview. The surrealism and social commentary of this issue of Howard The Duck had a big impact on me as a kid. I wrote briefly about this issue in an ancient post on this 'ere blog which you can read ( should you want to of course ) here.



Day 30
Your favourite artist

With apologies and respect to the many other artists I love, there can only be one King Of Comics.
Of course, it's Jack Kirby!





So, that's the end of the challenge. It was a fun distraction from these crazy times and a chance to share images and thoughts about comics. Thanks to everyone who commented on these posts  -  you're all super heroes!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Week 4, and you still haven't got rid of me yet Simon.

Dream "versus" match - Are you certain there hasn't already been a Vampirella v Satana? I mean, in a modern world where there actually is a Vampi/Red Sonja/Betty & Veronica crossover...
Anyway - Maggie and Hopey v Ranxerox

Fave cartoon series - Can't say I have a strong opinion here either, so I'm going to go off on a tangent with 1973 cartoon flick La Planete Sauvage, which has a sort of Metal Hurlant vibe (sorry, I know its a stretch, but thats the best I can do on this one).
Haven't seen it for ages, so I'm open to the possibility it might not be as good as I remember... but I bet Rene Laloux still kicks Ralph Bakshi's arse.

A comic that made you laugh - The obvious one is Cerebus in its heyday.
Also, Steve Bell's If gets a good laugh out of me fairly regularly.

A comic you wish they would make a movie of - The one I want to see can't be made anymore: an adaptation of Miller's Dark Knight Returns starring Adam West and Cesar Romero.

A guilty pleasure - Yeah, I don't quite get the concept either, but in the spirit of the challenge... 70s Supergirl comics.
And I even still have a couple of Lois Lanes somewhere too!

Comic you've read the most times - Theres quite a few where I've looked at the artwork on the pages more, but the one I've actually read the most must be Watchmen.
(Btw, thats a great choice of FF splash with Ben's feet...)

Fave super-power or skill - Eating planets. I reckon if I was a devourer of worlds I could up my game and achieve galactic domination.

Comic that changed the way you see the world - Hard to single out a particular one, but Pat Mills and John Wagner should get the blame here, as they definitely had an impact on me at an impressionable age.
Probably Action should have been banned earlier... (;

Your favourite artist - Obviously you made the right call on this one Simon.
The Guardian did a piece on Kirby ages ago, before the Marvel films, that argued probably more people in the western world have seen his work than any other twentieth century figurative artist (unless you count Walt Disney, who didn't actually draw the stuff with his name on it).

Still, for variety - and as I haven't mentioned him in the challenge yet - my fave artist other than Kirby is Jean Giraud/Moebius. Amazing that the same geezer who drew all those westerns also did Arzach, The Long Tomorrow, the Incal etc.

Enjoyed the challenge, so thanks - hope I haven't gone on too much.

-sean

McSCOTTY said...


Day 22
Your dream "versus" match – E-Man and the Silver Surfer

There was a time when an inter-company cross over was a fanboys dream but now is so commonplace .I haven’t read many of these (not even the Spidey Superman team up) but I would be interested in E-Man and the Surfer two of my favourite comic characters. Another would be Usagi Yojimbo and Cerebus.

Day 23
Fave comic book cartoon series – Justice League

Not sure if it means comic based on a cartoon (if so the its “ Batman Adventures”) ora Cartoon series based on a cartoon. I have gone for the latter. The Justice league cartoon based on Bruce Timms brilliant art style is a fanboy cracker with heroes from all eras and groups (Freedom Fighters, Earth 2 JSA etc) being portrayed, and some cool stories .


Day 24
A comic that made you laugh – J Edward Oliver

OK the real answer is Calvin and Hobbes as its brilliant and very funny but I used this under a previous option. So instead I will pick J E Oliver’s weekly cult comic page that appeared in Sounds . The references and humour may be dated now but back in the day I loved this and it was a must read for all us trendy types (lol) .His fascination with Mandy Smith (a 70s TV presenter , model ) was a running story in his strip as was the use of almost all of the pop starts of the day. And of course who can forget the real underlying theme of the strip to abolish Tuesdays!


Day 25
A comic or story arc you wish they would make a movie - New Gods

I was never a big fan of this comic but Kirby’s concept is good and would be a great film with Darksead as the villain (I can’ wait to see the “Eternals “ filsms as this was one of my favourite mid /late 70’s comics)


Day 26
A guilty pleasure comic – Archie (Dan De Carlo period)

I don’t really read a lot of comics today but I have picked up the(very) occasional Archie series (pocket books) from the late 60s early 70s with Dan De Carlo art. The art looks really fresh and cool now (think Jamie Hernandez) and they are easy to read and chuck in the bin (well charity shop bag) afterwards.


Day 27
Comic you've read the most times – Astonishing Tales – Deathlok the Demolisher issues 25

Like yourself there are many comics I have read and read over and over again quite literally until the overs fell off them including Silver Surfer issue 12, Batman 255 (Batman and a werewolf by Adams!) ,Conan 26 (my first Conan comic),Kull 9. Green Lantern/ Green Arrow 85 and Amazing Adventures 18 (War of the Worlds) Tales etc. But I’ll pick Deathlok as it was a comic I was fanatical over when it came out. To a then 14 years old picking it up it was so exciting and original for the times (and violent I suppose) . I have probably only read this couple of times in the last 25 plus years but back in the day I was always delving into this book and yes the cover of my original version has fallen off.


Day 28
Fave super power or skill - Mystic arts

I’m not in anyway into mysticism but just to be able to point a finger and contour up something sounds great (all for the good of course)

Day 29 - Comic that changed the way you see the world -NONE

I can’t really say any comic changed the way I see the world or none that I can think of at present.

Day 30
Your favourite artist - Neal Adams

So many to pick from including Toth, Romita, Gene Colan, Russ Heath, Eisner, Wood, Kirby etc but for me on art alone it has to be Neal Adams. Sadly his more recent work has relied on too many of his standard poses and faces in open mouthed shock or anger but his late 60s to mid 70s work for me is simply sublime his Avengers , Batman, Deadman, Green Lantern and (his albeit limited) Conan work for me are some of the best comics ever

McSCOTTY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McSCOTTY said...

Sorry not Mandy Smith I meant Madeline Smith (think Mandy Smith was the girlfriend of a member of the Rolling Stones). And I think J Edward Oliver's strip appeared in the Record Mirror and Disc and not Sounds (it was a long time ago lol)

J E Oliver fan page:

http://www.jedwardoliver.uk/episode149to187.htm

Simon B said...

Thanks for the comments, gents!

@Sean
Yeah, there probably has been a Vampirella / Satana team-up. I mean, why not? I guess somebody must have bought that Archie / Punisher thing, right?

My son's got a nice Blu-Ray of La Planete Sauvage / Fantastic Planet. I should re-watch that, I remember it being very trippy. Man.

Yep, a lot of the humour in Cerebus still works... if not the dodgy gender politics. I'm aware of Steve Bell's work but haven't ever followed it. I sort of associate it with the Thatcher years - and I try not to think of them ;-)

I like the idea of Adam West in TDKR. Can you imagine him in the modern DC movie universe?
"Do you bleed... chum?"

I bought a Lois Lane comic quite recently, probably my first ever, mostly for the Rose & Thorn strip. It was good fun but seriously dated.

I'm with you on Watchmen. I've re-read it many times and often just dip into it for specific moments / images.

I like planets... but I couldn't eat a whole one.

Although I was always going to go with Kirby as my fave artist because his work made such a huge impact on me from an early age, Moebius is also definitely up there. If anything, Jean Giraud was technically a "better" artist than Kirby - as you say, his work was so diverse, not to mention mind-blowing.

( Don't think you went on too much - I really appreciated your stopping by this dusty old corner of the blogoverse and hopefully you'll call again. I'm thinking of doing a film challenge as well, probably after a bit of a break, so if you're up for that it would be great to have you along. )


@Paul
You've never read the Spidey / Superman team-up? How have you managed to avoid it?
E-Man and the Surfer would be a fun combination alright. Sad to hear that E-Man's creator, Nick Cuti, passed away recently.

As I said, I've never really been into comic book cartoons. I did catch some of the Batman Adventures which certainly had a memorable title sequence with its retro style.

I've never heard of J. Edward Oliver before so will have to follow the link and investigate his stuff. There was always a crossover between music mags and comic strips, wasn't here? Some better than others. I've probably mentioned it before but, when I was in a band and we needed a name, we nicked the monicker Death Planet Commandos from Alan Moore's The Stars My Degradation which used to run in Sounds.

A New Gods movie could be really interesting if given to decent creators, although it looks like Darkseid will appear in the current DC movie universe so will probably be completely mishandled like the majority of their characters. I'm dubious about the Eternals movie ( particularly after seeing the generic costume designs ) but Marvel Studios have an ability to make the most unpromising properties successful so we'll see...

I've never read an Archie comic in my life and, although De Carlo's artwork is appealing, I can't see that changing any time soon. Maybe I'm missing out?

Deathlok is an interesting choice. The comic was definitely ahead of its time in terms of the cynical, dystopian future it portrayed and the equally cynical characters who populated it. A very personal project for Dave Cockrum I think.

Mystic arts? Yeah, I could go for that. As long as I could get to hang out in my Sanctum Sanctorum in Greenwich Village with an other-dimensional apprentice called Clea...

Neal Adams is obviously one of the all-time greats. All the comics you mentioned were fantastic and I'd also add his run on the X-Men and his underrated stint on the Inhumans strip in Amazing Adventures. Oh, and those two issues of Thor he did, along with the late Joe Sinnott on inks. Just wonderful stuff!

Thanks again for joining in with the challenge, Paul. Hope to hear from you again soon.



LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails