Tuesday 8 May 2012

Maurice Sendak


The great children's author Maurice Sendak died today at the age of 83. Sendak is best known for his 1963 classic, Where The Wild Things Are, a beautifully illustrated tale of young Max and his adventures in the land of the Wild Things.


I can vividly remember reading this strange and charming fantasy in the school library when I was only about 7 or 8 years old... and then reading it again to my own son three decades later. This wonderful tale of childhood and a child's imagination became a real favourite of ours and I'd just like to thank the late Mr. Sendak for sharing Max's story with us.


I wrote about Spike Jonze's film version here - a flawed but interesting and visually beautiful take on the story.

Now let the wild rumpus start...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails