Sunday 28 December 2008

And the nominations go to...


As it's nearly the end of the year it must be time for The Best Of 2008. Everybody else is doing it, so let's jump on the bandwagon. We'll start with Songs Of The Year...



Indie/rock/whatever :
The Ting Tings: Great DJ, That's Not My Name, Shut Up And Let Me Go ( Great pop songs, bags of punk attitude, the gorgeous Katie White, top band. )
Kaiser Chiefs: Never Miss A Beat ( Still love The Kaisers. )
Kings Of Leon: Sex On Fire ( First song of theirs that ever really grabbed me. )
Oasis: Shock Of The Lightning ( Occasionally they can remind you of how great they once were. )
MGMT: Kids ( Love the retro keyboard sounds! )




Here come the girls:
Katy Perry: I Kissed A Girl ( A guilty pleasure. )
Gabriella Cilmi: Sweet About Me ( Likewise. )
Leona Lewis: Run ( Forget Snow Patrol! Serious shivers up the spine. )
Girls Aloud: The Promise ( Yes, really!)
Rihanna: everything she's done this year, can't remember them all, it's all good.
Ladyhawke: My Delirium ( A great '80s flashback, and a brilliant cover of Britney's Womaniser on Radio 1. )
Florence And The Machine: Dog Days Are Over ( Just getting into this, reminds me of Siouxsie. )




Bands I'm not really a fan of, but who have done something good:
Keane: ( bloody Keane!) The Lovers Are Losing, Spiralling
The Feeling: I Thought It Was Over
Snow Patrol: Take Back The City



Not a bad selection. There's probably a load more I've forgotten. I just have to mention that I quite like Kanye West's strange new '80s/vocoder direction on songs like Love Lockdown and Heartless.  And in a retro vein, I got The Clash Live At Shea Stadium for Christmas ( from Sarah's Nan! ) and it ROCKS!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails