Saturday 11 September 2010

15 Albums


I saw a meme on Facebook the other day: in 15 minutes think of 15 albums that are important to you and list them. Well, we love lists don't we?

Actually, 15 minutes is a long time so I decided to do it in 5 minutes. I sat down during a break at work today, with no access to my record collection or t'internet and wrote down the first albums that popped into my head. Did it in 4 minutes.....

1. Never Mind The Bollocks by the Sex Pistols
2. London Calling by the Clash
3. Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen & the E-Street Band
4. The Band by The Band
5. Psychocandy by the Jesus & Mary Chain
6. Surfer Rosa by Pixies
7. Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys
8. New Day Rising by Husker Du
9. Searching For The Young Soul Rebels by Dexy's Midnight Runners
10. Are You Experienced? by the Jimi Hendrix Experience
11. Exodus by Bob Marley & the Wailers
12. Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin
13. Deserter's Songs by Mercury Rev
14. Abbey Road by the Beatles
15. The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips

That just seemed to scratch the surface of my collection, so I jumped straight into list 2, my only rule being not to include any artist from the first list, or there could be another 3 or 4 albums by Springsteen, Zep etc. Again, done in 4 minutes.

16. Introduce Yourself by Faith No More
17. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
18. Harvest by Neil Young
19. Purple Rain by Prince & the Revolution
20. Element Of Light by Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
21. Surrender by the Chemical Brothers
22. The Blueprint 3 by Jay-Z
23. Is This It? by the Strokes
24. Crossing The Red Sea With... The Adverts
25. This Is The Sea by the Waterboys
26. If I Should Fall From Grace With God by the Pogues
27. Rave On by Andy White
28. The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd
29. Otis Blue by Otis Redding
30. Supernature by Goldfrapp

It's funny seeing this list and seeing the random connections my brain was making between artists. Crossing The Red Sea made me think of This Is The Sea, and the Waterboys in turn made me think of other "Celtic" 80's bands like the Pogues and the underrated Andy White. How I went from Neil Young to Prince I don't know.

It amazes me that I got as far as no. 28 before I shouted out "Dark Side!" Phew - almost left it out! But I also unforgivably left out these: Everything Must Go, The Stone Roses, Blonde On Blonde, Songs In The Key Of Life, Ziggy Stardust, Rocket To Russia, Automatic For The People, Raw Power, ( What's The Story ) Morning Glory?

Maybe I ought to do a 15 Albums series of posts, setting down my thoughts on each album and what they mean to me. Or maybe another blog? Hmmm.....

4 comments:

Glenn Lander said...

No Chinese Burn - not even the greatest hits???

Simon B said...

Sorry mate! How could I forget Ruin Someone's Day - Best Stroud Band Album Ever? I'll have to put it down to advancing senility :-(

BTW that was a great gig at the Queen Vic the other week. Have you recovered from 4 gigs in 3 days?

John Pitt said...

I wouldn't even be able to limit my list to 150 albums! Look forward to the next 15 and I will chip in with my opinions on some of them.

Simon B said...

Cheers John!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails