Tuesday 27 November 2012

London Locations ( November 2012 ) Part One


I recently spent a fantastic couple of days in that there London Town with my mate Glenn. We were there to see The Dandy Warhols at Heaven ( review to follow, of course ) and to generally take in the sights. Friday, the day of the gig, was very wet and windy ( just for a change! ) but Saturday was much brighter and I managed to take a lot of photos. Would you like to see some...?
( Thought you might... )


This is a cool-looking bar near to our hotel in Waterloo. There was also a fascinating shop nearby called Radio Days, which sold all kinds of vintage and retro memorabilia, from old radios and record-players, to vintage glamour posters and mags, to fab 'n' faded clothes, to cocktail accessories. I had a good nose through a bunch of old music mags but came out with nothing. Time waster!



After chomping on a full English Breakfast on Saturday morning, Glenn and I wandered along the South Bank until we came to the Tate Modern. What an amazing place! Formerly a power station, the Tate is a huge, imposing structure with vast interior spaces... as you can see...


"I call this installation Girder With Rivets..." ( Glenn showing off his latest masterpiece... )


"And this one is entitled Lack Of Chairs... "


As well as just messing about, we also took the chance to look at some proper artwork. Luckily, there was a brilliant exhibition of Surrealism on display featuring, among others, these awe-inspiring works by Giorgio de Chirico, Paul Delvaux and Picasso. Cool or what?



From the Tate we headed along the river bank, past The Globe Theatre...


and on past The Golden Hind and Southwark Cathedral ( where a graduation ceremony was taking place, with loads of beaming students and parents ) and on to our original destination, before we'd been sidetracked by Surrealism, London's latest skyscraper  -  The Shard...




Apparently the second-tallest building of its kind in Europe, The Shard is a stunning new addition to the London skyline, which I'll definitely have to visit when it's fully open to the public ( from next February ) and visitors will be able to book tickets to a viewing area at the top. It should be an amazing view from up there...


Further London locations to follow, featuring St. Paul's Cathedral, Christmas lights, life-size M&M's and a giant gorilla :-)

6 comments:

Richard said...

If Doctor Who were worth its salt an episode would use the Shard as a significant plot element, just like it did with the Post Office Tower and the London Eye...

Simon B said...

...and Big Ben, and the Tower Of London, and Buckingham Palace, and the Crystal Palace transmitter...

Maybe they've done enough in London
:-)

Richard said...

Yes yes yes my dear boy, but you know what I mean. (Oops, sorry, I still haven't completely recovered from Talk Like William Hartnell Day.) Among DW locations there's one category for venerable historic sites and another for new additions that have just been introduced to the London skyline in the year of transmission. And given how long it'll be before I can return there, I depend on you and the Doctor to visit these places so I can enjoy them vicariously!

Simon B said...

"Talk Like William Hartnell Day...?"
LOL! ( as we young 'uns say )
At least it's not "Thcream Until I'm Thick Like Bonnie Langford Day..."

And, don't worry Richard... there's plenty more London pics to come :-)

Mickelodeon said...

Looks like a grand time! I don't think I made it to the Tate Modern either time. But man, would I love to revisit St. Paul's, knowing so much more about architecture in general now than I did back then...and destined to learn more as I embark on another art history class. :)

Simon B said...

Hi Mickey! Good to hear from you, as always. Hope you're well.

St. Paul's is a beautiful building and I wish I'd had the time to go inside for a look around. If you ever get to London again it's a must. And definitely go up to the Whispering Gallery, under the dome - it really is amazing up there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails