Saturday 11 May 2024

I've just seen a Face: Retro Magazines & Film Posters


It's like the 1980s never ended! Here, for your delectation and delight, are a few covers from long-gone fashion / lifestyle magazine The Face. I never bought this mag back in the day, as I thought it was just a style Bible for pseudo-intellectuals. I mean, it was really, but these issues I picked up in a junk shop recently have some great articles and interviews, plus some *very* of-their-time photos, which are fun to see from a 21st century viewpoint. And isn't that Human League cover the most '80s photo ever?


An absolutely gorgeous pic of Siouxsie...


And another gorgeous pic, this time of the legendary Rankin' Roger ( RIP )


And, yes, another gorgeous ( in a mean 'n' moody kind of way ) pic of the Godlike genius that is Kevin Rowland.


Staying with an '80s theme ( and with some '70s and '00s thrown in for good measure ), here are some cool reimaginings of movie posters that we saw in an exhibition in Stroud a couple of months ago. Aren't they lovely?


 






5 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

That's a blast from the past, like yourself I never read The Face thinking it was more a style mag. I did semi regularly buy the NME (and Sounds). Nice pics that's for showing these.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone of a certain age ever admit to buying The Face back in the day?
But I'll believe you Simon. And Paul (;

Love the Human League cover. Its not just the pic, check that list of contents: Ian Dury, Sly & Robbie, Cabaret Voltaire, Jah Wobble - thats soooo early 80s! Back when someone could still think tattoos were the mark of the outsider...

-sean

McSCOTTY said...

The Face ever appealed to me Sean, but I admit to buying Arena magazine ( buy the same folk that designed the Face) in an attempt to look trendy and mature lol which I think was probably worse.

Anonymous said...

Well, Paul, I never read The Face either but joining in with the spirit of full disclosure, I will admit to having perused the occasional i-D magazine.
Which may be worse, but it would have been someone else's copies so at least I didn't buy it.

I did also read the NME, although more often Sounds, rarely Melody Maker - which seemed too square - and never Record Mirror (nothing against it, I just don't recall ever seeing an issue).

I never read Arena, and can confirm that despite my age I am still not mature.

-sean

Simon B said...

Hi Paul, hi Sean! As ever, my apologies for the late reply ( I feel like I'm always saying that ), but thanks for your comments. I vaguely remember i-D and Arena but I'm sure I never bought them back in the day. After progressing (lol) from Smash Hits, I bought Sounds every week for many years, with the occasional dip into NME, MM and - yes - Record Mirror. And then, in later years, the monthly music publications: Q, Vox, Select etc. I must have spent a small fortune on obscure music mags - who remembers The Hit? Or Punk Lives? Anyone? Anyone...?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails