Sunday 8 August 2021

60 years of The Fantastic Four


 Today is the 60th anniversary of the first issue of The Fantastic Four going on sale  -  the Big Bang of the Marvel Universe. It's hard to overstate the importance of this comic in the history of the artform, the industry and Marvel Comics themselves. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's unheralded story of four misfits gifted / cursed with superpowers kicked off a revolution in comics, the shockwaves of which still reverberate to this day.


Of course you don't need me to tell you that. The history of the FF and of the Lee / Kirby partnership has gone down in comic book legend, and rightly so. As a tribute to Stan, Jack and all their illustrious fellow creatives ( inkers, letterers, production staff etc etc ) I'm going to post some of my fave FF issues from my collection, starting with the earliest issue I own, no. 8  -  "Prisoners Of The Puppet-Master"







Excelsior!



2 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Nice selection of covers Simon. It took me a while to get into the FF as I wasn't a big fan of the early adventures ( I liked them but wasn't that impressed). However, once Kirby developed his signature art style for me it got interesting. Still that Puppet Master issue was a favourite of mine when reprinted in The Mighty World of Marvel.

Simon B said...

Hi Paul. Very sorry for the late reply, mate. I'm really neglecting this blog :-(
Yes, some great covers and the interiors are pretty, er, fantastic too! Issue no. 8, the Puppet Master story, is one of my faves - mostly because it's the oldest issue I'll probably ever own, but it's also a really fun story.
Hope all's well with you?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails