Monday 24 July 2017

Baby Driver


"All you need is one killer track..."

James and I went to see Edgar Wright's latest movie, Baby Driver, last night and were blown away by its turbo-charged thrills and too-cool-for-school soundtrack. It was great to see all Wright's familiar visual flourishes ( plus plenty of new ones ) exploding from the big screen again, but this time in a dazzling, heart-racing thriller instead of a comedy. The cast were uniformly excellent, with old hand Kevin Spacey making a chilling villain ( well, kind of ) and the young leads, Ansel Elgort ( "Baby" ) and Lily James, bringing some charming chemistry to their star-crossed lovers amidst all the chaos. And what a soundtrack! Most scenes were cut exactly to the sounds of the tracks playing on Baby's ever-present iPod  -  all the squealing tyres, crunching metal and gun shots in sync with the beats. The soundtrack was dominated by classic soul and funk ( Nowhere To Run, Every Little Bit Hurts, B.A.B.Y ) and hip hop, with diversions down some rockier roads by Queen, Golden Earring and even The Damned.

But don't just take my word for all this  -  here's James's review of the movie from his own blog,
I Criticise Because I'm Not Creative. Now, I may be biased  -  okay, I obviously am biased  -  but I think James has an excellent prose style and I always find his reviews well thought out and witty. Check them out and drop him a comment or two if you like...

2 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have heard nothing but good things bout his one.

Simon B said...

You should give it a watch, Cal. Just see it on the big screen for maximum effect - don't rely on your Russian Mafia connections for some dodgy download ;-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails