Monday 12 January 2015

Creatures On The Loose!

It's been a while since I've bought any Silver or Bronze Age comics but I couldn't resist this early1970s Marvel monster mag with its lovely Steranko cover. I picked it up for the bargain price of £2 from Bristol's premier independent comic shop, the mighty Excelsior. Although slightly water-damaged / rippled it's otherwise in pretty good condition, with the cover's bold colour scheme undimmed by age. And what beautiful artwork by Jaunty Jim! A quintessential Sword and Sorcery image: barbarians, babe, blades and blood all present and correct. The comic's contents are worth a look too, with some fine, moody artwork by the late Gray Morrow.
( Ahh, this all takes me back to the long-gone days of Steranko Saturdays, gone but not forgotten... )

I also got hold of the following vintage beauties, all for around two or three quid:
Doctor Strange #8 ( Engelhart and Colan, the Dread Dormammu on the cover )
Werewolf By Night #6 ( great Eisner-esque artwork by Mike Ploog )
Marvel Two-In-One #1 ( Ben Grimm vs Man-Thing, cool Starlin / Sinnott artwork )
Worlds Unknown #8 ( the underrated George Tuska adapting The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad )
Great stuff! Excelsior!

5 comments:

pete doree said...

Good haul! just goes to show there are still those Bronze Age bargains out there occasionally.

Kid said...

I've got the issue (#10, I think) with Kull's first appearance. Comics were good back then, eh?

John Pitt said...

Why not show us the rest? I love silver & bronze age covers. You know what Steve Walker says about them on his excellent blog, don't you? - THESE were the REAL Golden age of comics!

Richard said...

That Golden Voyage of Sinbad adaptation has always been a favorite of mine, partly because I love the film and partly just on a technical level in that it faithfully depicts the entire film in the space of just two issues. That's what real professionals did, none of your "decompressed storytelling" for them!

Simon B said...

@Pete
Yeah, sometimes it's worth slogging your way through all the bargain bin junk to find some gems...

@Kid
It was indeed issue number 10, "The Skull Of Silence" - classic Berni Wrightson artwork!

@John
I only scanned the Steranko cover because I'm such a sucker for his artwork and the other covers seemed to pale in comparison. I could still do it though... watch this space. And, yes, Steve Who Does Comics is spot on about the Silver and Bronze Ages...

@Richard
Back when I was 7 years old and had very limited cash to spend I was confronted one day by both this issue of Worlds Unknown and X-Men #89 in a local shop. I could only afford one so spent my 7p ( 25c ) on the X-Men. That comic is long gone now but I've finally bought the Sinbad issue... 40 years later... I've obviously never grown up :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails